Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Where is everyone?

Goblin

Man, I was looking forward to the summer months and hearing from you guys. Who's catching and who's not?! I'm out every weekend and at times in the evening during the week. Post up...

--

July 18, 2014 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew
Site Owner
Hmmm haven't seen any thing in the meet up.... Haven't see people show up at the monthly event. I even had Dick's gift certs to give away. I can't force people to attend events (where we give away FREE stuff) or post in the meet up to invite members out to fish. What ever. I do what I can
July 18, 2014 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

Dude(s) - I've been blowing it up on the water every weekend - usually with my kids, or my fishing partner from my office.  My oldest daughter caught the fish below all by her herself in Lake Audubon last Sunday. (Yes, I confess to being a proud papa.)

I've kept my boat parked in Reston, instead of Leesburg, and I'm using it in Audubon a lot.  In fact, I'll be there again this  Sunday morning, before church, with my youngest daughter.

Yesterday, my buddy and I took the boat to Mattawoman Creek in MD and fished between the low and high tides.  We hammered the Potomac football size bass on topwater in the morning and with plastics in the grass and pads for the rest of the day.  I caught 6 or 7.  One was 1lb, but all the rest were 3--4+ lbs.  My buddy did just as well. 

I plan on stepping up my game in August.  My buddy has a lake house on Lake of the Woods where he keeps his boat.  I'll be spending the night down there in early August to do catfishing all night long.  That lake is full of quality bass with lots of docks just perfect for skipping a worm or senko under, and it has even bigger catfish.  Last time I fished catfish down there, I hooked into a big one. It fought a long time and eventually snapped my rod in half and broke off.   (SECRET:  Soak your chicken livers in cherry Kool-Aid for a few hours.  Catfish kill em', but it has to be cherry flavor.  No other.  My buddy laughed at me for this, until I outfished him to the point of embarrassment one night. Now, he does it too.)  It's by far my favorite place to fish, although I'm really liking Mattawoman Creek too becuase of their pads, plus the Creek has snakeheads.

It seems to me that river fish fight a little harder than lake fish.  I bet there is no evidence to back that up, but the Potomac bass gave me a run for my money yesterday.  They seem to pull more line of my reel than lake bass of the same size do. 

--

Just one more cast...

July 19, 2014 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim G

Basshappy, what advice do you have for audobon? Spent 3-4 hours out there on my kayak about a month ago only catching < 1 lb bass. Are you targeting docks or deeper water? What kinda lures? Might try to get my yak out tomorrow so maybe I'll see ya there...

July 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim G

Btw, thats quite the bass that your daughter caught, you should definitely be proud!

July 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator
All my luck on Audubon has been on Texas rigged plastic worms near shore and docks. South edge shoreline is most productive. My daughter and I'll be there by 0630. Good luck.
--

Just one more cast...

July 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gmubeach

Guys I'm sorry I've been missing as of late. Trying to buy a home and my 2 year old and work has really taken away my fishing time I'm down to like 1x every 2 months.  Still reading and looking forward to hearing how your adventures have been.  best regards Troy

July 20, 2014 at 4:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

My youngest caught one on the water this morning at Audubon.

--

Just one more cast...

July 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LoneStar

Hey guys. I am a new member, thanks to Golbin letting me know about the group. Here lately I have been fishing on a small stream in Bristow, VA located behind my house, and using the new Bass Hunter 2 man boat (again thank to Goblin) and me and the boy have been catching a few small ones. 

July 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LoneStar

First catch on the new boat this weekend. Thanks Goblin!

July 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

You guys are slaying 'em. BassHappy, you have to be a proud dad! She caught a nice toad there. And, look how happy she was to pose with that fish. Awesome!

My ponds are not producing big bass these days. Catching dinks to 2lbs. Might have to pull that yak out and start hitting different water. Keep in touch guys! 

Lonestar you give me too much credit. Look forward to fishing with you...

--

July 21, 2014 at 7:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew
Site Owner
Went out this weekend with another member to a very nice spot before I went out of town . Hooked a bunch of 2 pounders. I don't know what I'm doing next weekend yet. But can't wait for it.
July 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

BassHappy... how are you working the worm? Technique must be key here. I often let it sit then bounce it: I'm bad to pick up speed. So are you doing a slow drag or what? Thanks in advance...

--

July 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim G

BassHappy must have some magic touch or technique...spent a few hours on Audobon yesterday only to catch 3 dinks. Was working a jig and texas rigged worm around docks and the shore. Maybe the big ones are only biting in the early hours of the morning...

July 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

Jim, that's about par for me too. On occassion I land a decent 2+ but more often then not the fish is the size of the lure. 

--

July 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

I'm diggin Lonestar (my Texas brother!) being on the blog.  

Hey, I'm fishing Berkley powerbait 7" worms with a 1/16 oz weight - Texas rigged.  Chartreuse and black..  Because it's so light I let them sink and then I hop and swim them a bit until i'm out of the strike zone.  I'm not fishing slow becuase I'm covering water - mostly along the shore, wood and docks.   I ricochet a lot of casts on the water surface to reach far under docks and cover when the sun is out.  I get it right about 90% of the time but every now and then you might hear a loud PLUNK!    I've also had luck on the Potomoc with poppers early in the morning.

I'm making it a goal to catch up to Goblin in weight - but after fishing the Big O, he is way ahead of me.  : )

--

Just one more cast...

July 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LoneStar

Back at you BassHappy!

I have been going out for an hour or so each night before I lose the light and it has really slowed down for me. Usually I throw in and I am getting something, just dinks manly, but it's still fun. The past nights ... nothing.

Is it the heat, dog days? The stream I fish in is pretty down right now, so there is not a whole lot of deep areas. Anyone else it has slowed down for or am I just holding my mouth wrong? I have been doing frogs on top, jigs, spinners, plugs, etc.

What do you guys recommend best for summer days and when it gets hot (Yes I know Goblin Jigs.. I have been trying and my flipping is getting a bit better) but what do you guys recommend for VA stream, water is down low.. best areas to fish and best lures to use?

July 25, 2014 at 12:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

zandi
Administrator

basshappy, can you take a picture of the lures you are using and post them here?

July 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

BassH.. I didn't have to work hard on the "Big O". And, LoneS.. Look foward to fishing with ya in the morning... 

--

July 25, 2014 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LoneStar

Went out today on the new Bass Hunter and caught a few, One was pretty nice for me.. nothing like BassHappy's monsters. Caught both fish on Golbin's jig setup he showed me (I have been getting lucky with the dark blue/black jib and blue crawdad trailer.  Here are a few pics:

Looking forward to going out tomorrow Goblin, now I can learn from a pro. I am just afraid you will catch all the Bass in my stream and make me look back on my home turf :)

July 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.