Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Fishing every day!

basshappy
Administrator

I read a book by Paul Quinnett that had a great quote in it. 

"It is not so important that a fisherman go fishing every day, but that he knows he can..."

I disagree.  I'm actually trying to go fishing every day...

22 May - Thursday - caught a dozen bass at Lake of the Woods, Fredericksburg

23 May - Friday - caught five bass at a lake near Fox Mill

24 May - Saturday - caught three bass in Leesburg

25 May - Sunday - caught seven bass in Lake Audubon, Reston

26 May - Monday - caught one bass in Lake Audubon, Reston

27 May - Tuesday - caught five bass at Fox Mill lake

28 May - Wednesday -caught six bass at pond in North Reston

29 May - Thursday - RAINED and Cold Front.  Got skunked!

30 May - Friday - caught six bass at a pond in Fair Lakes near Walmart

31 May - Saturday morning  I drove to Lake Frederick in Front Royal and caught one bass in 2.5 hours.  Since the joy of fishing is not only about catching fish in beautiful places, but also about being in places where fish are caught, I decided to pack up and head back to Lake Audubon..

31 May - Saturday late morning / afternoon - caught eight bass in Lake Audubon, including my biggest pick of 2014...

4lb 7oz.

--

Just one more cast...

May 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

How do you do it in Audobon. I've fished that lake for 6 years and nothing over 3lbs. Ugh.. Great job! 

Went out today and hit several ponds in Chantilly. Caught a nice one that got wrapped up in the cattails and danced off. Seems to be the them for me this year. Also, have notice a surprising number of bass on the beds still. Can't believe we are going into June and their still there. In just 5 short month it'll be winter agian. WTH?

--

May 31, 2014 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

Goblin, Thanks.  I used a Berkley Power Bait, black body with PINK tail.  Texas rigged.

I know what you mean about feeling like winter is around the corner.  That's why we need to fish hard and fish often.  :)

Good job catching fish on Thursday at Lake Anna in cold front conditions.  Impressive.

--

Just one more cast...

June 1, 2014 at 7:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

1 June - Sunday - one bass from a pond in Leesburg.

--

Just one more cast...

June 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

That's a tough day of fishing. My day was a little better: :P

--

June 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

Nice pics Goblin.  What did you catch the CAT on?

2 June - Monday - one bass on third cast on my way home.  Then I left.  :)

--

Just one more cast...

June 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gmubeach

Wish I could fish everyday!

June 3, 2014 at 2:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

This is the second catfish I have caught on a shakeyhead worm. I attribute it to using MegaStrike. There fun to catch. 

--

June 3, 2014 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

3 June - Tuesday  - caught 3 bass on Fox Mill pond.  I think today (it's my birthday) will be the end of my fishing spree.  2 weeks was a good run. 

My next challenge will be to learn how to fish a shakeyhead.

--

Just one more cast...

June 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gmubeach

2 weeks of fishing everyday is quite an accoplishment. I've never fished a shakey head either, but read a good deal about them. It appears the curvature of the jig and the way it shakes is important to hook sets.

June 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

The jig head is of no consequence to me. I use all types: football, hybrid, brush, stand up, round, etc. What I find that makes a difference is a straight shank. The hook sets in the worm at a 45 degree angle as opposed to a EWG or wide gap type that goes through the lure and back into the skin. This dramatically made a difference in my catching fish. Also I find in a tough bite that fishing the lure more vertical will help with those finicky fish. 

I hope we have not thread jacked basshappy's post here. :)

--

June 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

Hey, thread jack away.  Can you fish shakeyheads on soft pond bottoms, or do you have to fish it on a hard bottom?

--

Just one more cast...

June 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pennsylvania Kid
I only like it on the hard/rocky bottoms.....gets to mucky on those soft bottoms....but I'm sure someone out there prbly fishes it like that.
June 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

Bass and Penn.. about all I fish are soft pond bottoms. I like to inch it along to stir up the silt then hop it. Here lately I've been throwing a 1/8oz shakey.  I went out this evening and in just a matter of days (Sat-Wed) the ponds have algae overgrowth? Still threw the shakey and caught 5. All were around 1.5lbs or a little better.  Are you thinking the shakey is more of a vertical fishing technique? I believe that's how it orginated but us southern boys have modified it to me more in line with a Texas Rig but not. ;)

--

June 4, 2014 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Nawrot
Administrator

Nice catch there. 

Andrew told me that you might need my catch log data from the Aprilcontest.  I caught two bass totaling 1 lb. 

But just for the record I caught my largest bass this year in Ashburn weighing4.5lb. 

Now I just got to get a bigger one. 

Hope your doing well,

--

"Feed a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on the weekends."

June 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

Paul:

Thanks for the info.  Congrats on the 4.5lb-er.  That's awesome.  Pic? What did you catch it on?

--

Just one more cast...

June 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goblin

Paul - Awesome! You two are schooling my old arse. Hit Lake Royal today after work and did what seems to be the usual. I was trying a new pose but it just came out gay. I think I'll go back to the thumbs up! 

--

June 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pennsylvania Kid
Lol
June 6, 2014 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pennsylvania Kid

Recent trip to PA for a week, average size bass was 2.0-2.5 .....my biggest ones were 4.0, 3.5, and a 3.0 slime belly (aka chain pickerel) .......Biggest overall on the trip was 4.25 ......still having trouble locating those 5+ fish.

June 6, 2014 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

basshappy
Administrator

Caught my first snakehead on the Potomac on Friday flippin pads.  It was hot and bright so the pic is terrible.

--

Just one more cast...

June 7, 2014 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.